Livorno, 1866 – Florence, 1943
He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence where he met Giovanni Fattori who was teaching there.
He initially followed the painting style of the Macchiaioli masters, having come into contact with Silvestro Lega, Diego Martelli, and Telemaco Signorini.
From 1886, he regularly exhibited his works at the Annual Exhibition of the Society of Fine Arts in Florence. In 1889, thanks to Signorini’s recommendation, he exhibited his works among those of Tuscan painters at the Universal Exhibition in Paris.
1891 marked a turning point for Nomellini, as the painter moved away from Fattori’s teachings and enthusiastically embraced Divisionism, becoming one of its main exponents.
The artist developed a vibrant technique using small brushstrokes, depicting scenes of everyday life, landscapes, and farmers, often addressing social and political themes. Due to his ideals, in 1894, he was imprisoned for five months for alleged subversive activities, but was later acquitted thanks to the testimony given during the trial by Signorini and the support of other Florentine artists.
In 1891, he participated in the First Triennial of Brera, contributing to the consolidation of Divisionism. Between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, Nomellini’s art took on a strongly symbolist connotation, culminating in the “Art of Dreams” hall, designed with Galileo Chini in 1907 for the 7th Venice Biennale.
During these years, the artist moved to Torre del Lago and came into contact with figures like Giacomo Puccini and Giovanni Pascoli. In 1908, he built a house in Fossa dell’Abate, a meeting point for figures such as Sem Benelli, Gabriele D’Annunzio, Grazia Deledda, Isadora Duncan, Eleonora Duse, and Lorenzo Viani.
After returning to Florence in 1919, the 12th Venice Biennale in 1920 dedicated an individual exhibition of 43 works to him. In the last phase of his career, his paintings ranged from landscapes, seascapes to patriotic works, presented in major national exhibitions. Nomellini died in Florence in August 1943, leaving a profound impact on the Italian artistic scene of the time.