Mikayel Ohanjanyan was born in Yerevan, Armenia in 1976, he lives and works between Florence and Pietrasanta. He attended the P. Terlemezyan State College of Fine Arts of Yerevan (graduated in 1995) followed by the State Academy of Fine Arts ofYerevan (graduated in 2001). In 2000, upon relocation to Italy, he entered the Academy of Fine Arts of Florence (graduated in 2005).
During the course of his artistic career, he has participated in various national and international exhibitions, such as the 12th Venice Biennale of Architecture in 2010 (National Pavilion of Armenia), 54th Venice Biennale of Art in 2011 (Collateral Event) and the 56th Venice Biennale of Art in 2015 (National Pavilion of Armenia), in which Armenia was awared “The Golden Lion for Best National Participation”.
In 2016, the work Diario was selected for the Frieze Sculpture Park 2016, exhibited at Regent’s Park in London and subsequently the same work was chosen for the prestigious Yorkshire Sculpture Park. In 2017, two works by Ohanjanyan were chosen for the “Fiac – On Site project”, exhibited in front of Petit Palais in Paris, France. In 2018, the work The Threshold is the Source won the” E. Marinelli International Contemporary Art Award for the Opera del Duomo Museum”. The work is placed in the permanent collection of the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore / Opera del Duomo Museum in Florence.
Among his most important achievements are:
– Winner of the E. Marinelli International Art Award, Museum of Opera del Duomo di Firenze, Italy, 2018;
– Selected Artist for Yorkshire Sculpture Park, West Bretton, UK, 2017;
– Selected Artist for Frieze Sculpture Park, Regent’s Park, London, UK, 2016;
– Golden Lion – The National Pavilion of Armenia 56th Venice Biennale, Italy 2015;
– 1st Prize – PremioTargetti Light Art, Italy, 2009;
– 1st Prize – MOVIN’UP 2006, Italy, 2006;
– 1st Prize – II International Contemporary Art Biennale of Pavia, Italy, 2003;
– 3rd Prize – XIX Premio Firenze, Italy, 2001;
– 3rd Prize – XIII International Sculpture Biennale of Ravenna, Italy, 1998;